Monday, August 8, 2011

Are community newspapers dead?

SEATTLE - MARCH 16:  Pressman James Herron exa...Image by Getty Images via @daylifeAs someone who loved working for community newspapers, I wonder, are they dead?  We are so used to getting information immediately and by the time news comes out in print, it's old news. So that is where the Internet comes in. I would imagine any and all breaking news would be on a newspaper website and perhaps the newspaper be more in depth with it's reporting, more features and sports coverage. I think that's the sad part of what I'm seeing, the decline of the local sports page. The daily newspapers do nothing more than report scores, but actual coverage of a particular team on a particular day, it just doesn't happen much these days. Community newspapers are doing better than daily newspapers these days since they never had any classified ads and they usually gave away the newspaper. But it's tough out there, as newspapers are not being read by the younger generation. I still think the community newspaper can survive in smaller communities but it's difficult and they just may be on their way out. I hope I'm wrong.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment