Sunday, October 9, 2011

7 Keys To Making Your Photography Income Goals


7 Keys to Making What You 
Want In Photography
 I get this question a lot,  “so how much can I make working as a photographer?”
The answer is, it depends on your dreams and goals.  But I can give you an idea. Part time,  while working another job, I found it very easy to make $15,000 to $20,000.  Now,  I went the contract photographer route, working for a variety of companies. Most of the work I did was sports photography.
I have a friend who lived in another market, who also did mostly sports photography. But he worked for his own sports photography company. He was the boss. He made $200,000  doing the same thing I was doing.  His dream and goals were different than my dreams and goals, at that time in our lives.  I had a family, I needed the security and benefits of a full time job.  I had a great job and a great part time income.  For me, it was the best of both worlds.
So what are the 7 keys?  Here they are.
1. Have a dream, write it down, visualize it, keep it in front of you at all times. As Steven Covey says,  “start with the end in mind.”
2. Have written down daily goals that will help you to focus and move forward on your dreams.  Cut your dream up into small  goals so it doesn’t seem so overwhelming.
3. Develop a habit of consistent and persistent action.  You want to keep climbing one step at a time. You want to make progress on a timely basis.
4. Measure your progress.  How far did you come in reaching your monthly goal? 
5. Analyze why you did or didn’t reach your goals. Then develop a new plan. Re-double or adjust your efforts as needed.
6. Find a mentor.  You can’t do everything on your own.  You need an objective filter to run things through.  Don’t surround yourself with “Yes Men and Women”.  You need to hear the truth good or bad.
7. Stay positive and don’t ever give up.  When I look back on why I didn’t achieve a goal, this is why.  I listened to negative voices and gave up.  Growing up, I heard a lot of negative voices so I was used to listening to them.  Now don’t get this mixed up. Listen to negative voices that help you make a correction you may have missed. Don’t  listen to negative voices that encourage you to give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment