Monday, January 17, 2011

Golf is a funny game...

Don't get me wrong, I love playing golf.  I find it to be a very challenging sport where you really are only competing against yourself to be the best you can be. I also like the fact that it really is still a very polite gentleman's game where manners matter. In fact, it may be one of the few places in American society where people are still polite. You can be thrown into a group of people you don't know and everyone will always compliment you when you do good and encourage you when you don't.  My time on the golf course has also created several interesting stories along the way. For all the good manners in golf, there is one thing that can create just the opposite effect, booze. Golf is also a social game and often played while consuming an adult beverage or two and with a cigar or two. I remember golfing with a friend who I'm quite certain was an alcoholic, he was driving the cart and he almost tipped over the cart. Then he got mad because some guys behind us, hit into us, which is a big no-no. Well my friend just had to tell those guys what he thought. And before you know it I see finger pointing on the guys chest. All I could think of was, "great, not only did we almost tip over but now we're going to get in a fight with these guys".  Fortunately, nothing happened (not because we weren't trying) but the sober guys took it for what it was worth, a drunk on the course. I haven't since golfed with a drunk lately.  Perhaps for excitement I'll have to give it a go, but next time, I'm driving the cart and I'll be golfing with my sidearm just to keep the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment